Well. Here we are then. As I write I have made eighty four squares! Eighty four days. Wow.
Here is a re-cap on the basics of my project.
I’m putting 100 hearts onto fabric. The squares are all 6.5 x 6.5 inches. I selected a variety of materials in a limited colour palette. White, cream, pink, grey, brown, beige. All except one piece of fabric I already had on hand. These were an old linen blouse, three re-purposed cotton sheets. I bought one length of salmon pink linen.
For adding hearts to the fabric I have used fabric markers, dimensional fabric paint, Mr Huey’s spray ink, applique, white spray paint and two fabric ink blocks. Embroidery floss, and buttons have also been used. I have cut up card and fun foam for templates and to make my own stamps.
When all 100 are finished I’ll be making a quilt. Phew.
Here are a some of the squares from the last fifty plus days. Some are my favourites and some I included here because they are ‘different’ and a little bit different should be celebrated!
Possibly my all time fav below.
Gav, H and my fingerprints! Hers are the perfect ones!
I said way back in March as I pondered this project ‘what if I run out of ideas?’ My response back then was where is the challenge if you know you can do it? Which is still true but I know now that I won’t run out of ideas. There are endless ways to put a heart shape onto fabric. Endless.
I did however, begin to plan and mentioned this over on my Instagram feed a while back. I planned to help focus my mind on what ideas from my Pinterest board I still wanted use and also to help prevent that moment of panic, especially on days when I’m out at work for some of the day.
Here’s the plan as it stood on day sixty.
I deliberately made it visual, so drew a representation of what the square looked like. Seeing it all laid out made me both really happy and focussed. I began to see each row of ten as a mini goal which kept me on track. Ten days is nothing right?
I have been intentional about where the colours came in the layout from the start but seeing it laid out on a plan was helpful. I also love looking back at the photos I’ve taken of them all arranged on the floor.
I also tried to make the squares different as they sat side by side, above and below. If I’d done a central large heart the day before or on the row above I tried to do a smaller random pattern for the next one etc…
I still love, love this project and am thinking about what I have learned this time around. I’ll come back and share those thoughts and then of course the sewing begins so I can turn my squares into a quilt!
Here is my intro post to the 2018 project and my thoughts on 25 days down. And here is the post I wrote at the beginning of the 2017 project with this one summing up my thoughts at the end of those 100 days last year.