Here we are once again. Time it flies! As ever I am excited to document our December and have made an album to hold the stories of the season.
As I thought about what I wanted on the cover this year I gathered together all my previous albums, nine of them……
Yes, nine! Don’t they look sweet. Can’t believe this will be my tenth year with December Daily® Something to stop and think about here is the collection of those stories over the years. They are treasures for sure and as the lady who devised this concept says it’s the sum of those stories that is the key.
I had a good look at the previous albums, at the colours and motifs I’ve used over the years. Snowflakes, Christmas Trees, stars are the main themes. Red, white and kraft with a touch of silver have been my go to colours.
Then I browsed my Pinterest boards for inspiration and honed in on this one and this one. Something about the white and silver/grey papers spoke to me and I loved the idea of the ‘negative’ shape for the front of the album.
But before I did that bit I prepared the base of the covers.
I found two sturdy cardboard sheets and cut them to about 7 x 9 attaching washi tape around the edges of the covers as you can see above. This means I don’t have to paint the cover and try to get the paint into those rougher edges. Rougher because they have been cut. I have painted covers in the past but it’s a long process and I thought I’d go with a cardstock base instead.
After getting the front and back covers ready I cut out my star shape using a die cut star as a guide. I tried to ‘size it up’.
It’s not the perfect star shape but I’m fine with how it turned out and I went on to cut the shape out of a piece of wood grain card then adhered the negative shape to the front cover at an off set angle.
On the inside of each cover I added some pretty paper I’ve had in my stash for years. It is cream with flecks of sliver and gold.
Added faux stitching to the star shape with a silver pen and scattered silver and gold sequins onto the star.
I tried several different placements for items on the cover. I wanted to use a pewter snowflake from a Tim Holtz set and I tied some bakers twine onto it. I also tried a metal tag to hold the title and different coloured card as the base for the tag.
I find taking a photo a great way to see the bigger picture so to speak and in the end left off the tag and stamped directly onto the woodgrain card with black ink. The stamps are from an Ali Edwards stamp set.
I added the three hearts and the g,m,b from a set of tiny rub-ons that always seem to make it onto the covers of my December albums.
For the first time since my first album I didn’t add a 25 onto the cover. Time for a change I thought.
So there it is. See previous years posts about making the covers 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011. And I’ll share my foundation pages soon. Excited doesn’t ‘cover’ it. Lol!
December Daily® is an album project developed by Ali Edwards. Read all about it over here.